NATURALIA: a pilot project for the restoration of natural ecosystems and their use in ecotourism activities (Interreg III B Project – EU), ran on Boa Vista from January 2006.
Among the main goals of this project were:
- To improve the management of coastal resources and to do the groundwork for ecotourism activities in Cape Verde.
- To assess the natural and cultural resources from an economical and tourist point of view, applying modern means for a sustainable exploitation.
- To promote a cooperation between two Macaronesian archipelagos (Canary Islands – Cape Verde Islands), helping achieve a regional coherence of sustainable development between environment and tourism.
Projects activities included:
- Training of environmental guards and guides
- Promotion of eco-tourist activities: observation of marine turtles, corals, birds and whales
- Economical and commercial analyses of the natural resources
One of the outputs of this project was the creation of a local ecotourism agency that adopted the name of the project. Naturalia (Capa Verde Ltd.) began to work on Boa Vista in January 2008. Main objectives of Naturalia are:
- Promote ecotourism activities on Boa Vista, based on the rational and sustainable use of the natural resources of the island.
- Make local people aware about the economical value of the natural resources and the importance of a long-term conservation, facilitating their involvement and participation in the project activities and benefits.
- Articulate tourism and environment to support conservation and protection activities of threatened species and habitats.
- Contribute to a better knowledge of Boa Vista habitats and species by collecting data of scientific interest.